French Market’s Annual Creole Tomato Festival General Info:
- Two day festival from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. free and open to the public
- Festival grounds are the historic French Market, covering approximately 3 blocks between Dumaine Street and Barracks Street in the lower French Quarter
- FIRST ANNUAL SUMMER HARVEST GALA AT THE FRENCH MARKET JUNE 4TH: CREOLE TOMATO FEST KICK-OFF PARTY!
Two live music stages will feature local music, from jazz to funk to Cajun and R&B musical acts: SEE FULL SCHEDULE BELOW!
- Misting fans will be provided under tents to give people a break from the June heat and humidity
- Approximately 15 festival food booths will feature Creole tomato dishes of all kinds, from crabmeat stuffed tomatoes to fried green tomatoes to Creole tomato and basil filled crepes—and of course, bloody marys!
- Children’s activities will occur in an area known as Dutch Alley, a corridor that includes the indoor, air-conditioned New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park. Music, miniature golf, indoor dance lessons, facepainting, and children’s crafts will be featured in this free kids activity area.
- Cooking demonstrations will occur throughout the day featuring local chefs demonstrating and offering samples to such dishes as –Buttermilk Biscuit with Creole Tomato Jam and Grilled Corn Maque Choux—-Thin Fried Catfish topped with a Sauteed Shrimp and Creole Tomato Sauce—-Creole Tomato & Summer Melon Gazpacho—-Creole Tomato Cupcakes—-Creole Tomato stuffed with Cajun Dirty Rice
- Quirky aspects include: People strolling the grounds in tomato costumes and handing out tomato shaped fans (will get you photos for this); Creole tomato eating contests; bite size tomato samples so you can taste a fresh one yourself and decide if you want to purchase a box to take home! There will be several local produce vendors selling the ripest Creole tomatoes that you can find…this weekend marks the official “opening” of the Creole tomato season!
LIVE MUSIC SCHEDULE: French Market’s 28th annual CREOLE TOMATO FESTIVAL June 7 & 8, 2014
Saturday, June 7th—ABITA BEER STAGE near Barracks Street, alongside the Flea Market
11:45 A.M.-1:15 p.m. Pocket Aces Brass Band
1:45-3:15 p.m. Waylon Thibodeaux
3:45-5:15 p.m. Billy Iuso and Friends
5:45-7:00p.m. Brass a Holics
Saturday, June 7th—Dutch Alley pavilion stage at St. Phillip and Decatur Streets, riverside
11 a.m. -12:15 Ashley Renay
12:45-2:15 p.m. Shotgun Jazz Band
2;45-415 p.m. Kelcy Mae
4:30-6:00 p.m. Washboard Chaz Blues Trio
Sunday, June 8th— ABITA BEER STAGE near Barracks Street, alongside the Flea Market
11:45-1:15 p.m. Kid Merv & All That Jazz
1:45-3:15 p.m. HoneyPots
3:45-5:15 p.m. Los Po Boy Citos
5:45-7:00 p.m. Erica Falls
Sunday, June 8th— Dutch Alley pavilion stage at St. Phillip and Decatur Streets, riverside
11 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Paul Sanchez
12;45-2:15 p.m Tuxedo Jazz Band
2:45-4:15 p.m. Royal & Dumaine Hawaiians
4:45-6:00 p.m. Ganey Arsement